Author: Jan Jakobsen
I want to start off by saying that 2015 has been another great year for metal music and in particular black metal. I hope you’ve found loads of new great bands and albums and I most definitely look forward to seeing what metal has in store for us in 2016. Anyway, here are my top 5 picks for 2015.
- Ghost – Meliora. A ridiculously catchy and fun album. The hype surrounding this release was massive, but it lived up to the expectations. A great combination of heavy hitters like Cirice to quirky tracks like He Is makes it a varied listening experience. Full review can be read here – https://fetiddead.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/ghost-meliora-2015/
- Misþyrming – Söngvar Elds Og Óreiðu. Dissonant and raw black metal, one of the highlights of 2015. Some of the melodies crafted on this beast of album are both bizarre and creepy, but it works like a fucking charm. Another proof that Icelandic black metal is currently one of the strongest scenes at the moment.
- Malokarpatan – Stridžie Dni. One of the most unique metal albums of 2015. Blending Slovakian folk-tales with Venom and Master’s Hammer into one absurdly catchy and weird black metal album. Full review can be read here – https://fetiddead.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/malokarpatan-stridzie-dni-2015/
- Cruciamentum – Charnel Passages. A swirling, cavernous and masterfully crafted death metal album. Punishing riffing, memorable songwriting and an overall atmosphere that reeks of death and destruction. Full review can be read here – https://fetiddead.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/cruciamentum-charnel-passages-2015/
- Leviathan – Scar Sighted. Suffocating and terrifying, atmospheric and dark. Crushingly heavy at times and wonderfully melancholic at others. Scar Sighted is my album of the year and a must listen. Full review can be read here – https://fetiddead.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/leviathan-scar-sighted-2015/
Honorable mentions include; Genocide Shrines, Mgła, Revenge, Abyssal, Deathhammer, Pissgrave, Vastum, Trial and Saligia.